12.13.2007

Radio woes -- depart!

Just to follow up (because I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles) on my "Static killed my radio-o" post - I thought I'd let you know what has happened since.

I don't live anywhere near a BestBuy but was making a trip to the city (Vancouver) to visit a friend, so I decided to stop by the BestBuy in Langley to exchange the fried system. I found a system I liked (and for $80 cheaper than my original system) but they only had the floor model. It sounded great but had a 'banged up' look to it, so I passed on it. (My warranty is for either sending my product in by mail or doing an over-the-counter exchange) I got them to phone around to some other Best Buy's in the Lower Mainland, and was told that both Surrey and New West had the system I wanted (but each store only had one in stock).

Off I went to Surrey to check things out. They couldn't find it. Their computer system said they had one, but it was nowhere to be found.

Off to New West I went. Same deal. I was a tad frustrated by this time. I was hoping this whole process would be a 30min ordeal and by now I was already 2.5 hours into this mess.

I stood my ground. I found two floor staff to help me look throughout the store and low and behold we found it in the computer section. A tad strange, but I didn't care!

Now, if you knew the story behind the first stereo you'd realize that I would have been completely justified in asking them to put this new system together for me to test each component. I took a chance. I walked out of the store without opening the box and with a $70 store credit and a still-valid warranty. Nice.

I took my new system to my friend's place in New West (no way was I going to drive all the way back out to Abby only to find that the thing didn't work) and put it together. It worked! It was missing both the AM antenna and the PM antenna, but I didn't really care. I was happy it worked! Yipee! And I didn't have to return it to Best Buy. I could've, due to the missing parts, but by this time I was beyond truly caring.

I have fallen in love with this new machine. It does everything I want and has enough auxillary output/inputs to please me, too. I can hook up my computer, my tv, my ipod, and more... this may seem a little ridiculous to some of you - most people have systems that do this - but I'm loving the fact that this system sounds better and works better than one I got that cost $80 more. I love a bargain... even if it takes time to find it.

Now, to just keep static-infused body parts away from it - that's the goal.
(Though my warranty is still valid until July 2009...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've heard many many stories about the horrors of trying to shop at Best Buy. I've actually never done it myself but I've heard enough bad reports now that I think I will spare myself ever going there. But I'm glad you're pleased with your stereo so your story has a happy ending.

Unknown said...

hey stephanie,

thanks for all the well wishes !! i've had a helluva past 10 years and wouldn't trade that experience for anything. it's only going to help me.

so what are you taking in school coming up?

happy holidays !! glad to see you blogging.