It's been a lazy day of sorts, if you don't count the getting up at 545am part so I could get to work on time. I was sent home early due to the incredible amounts of snow that accumulated over the morning and due to the distance between my work and my home.
As much as I hate driving in the snow (you know, it's all the REST of those folks who make it so dangerous, not me) I also find that given the right circumstances I really love it. I offered to do the wine run to the liquor store once I got home and loved the almost grease-like feel of the snow beneath the tires. We've got winter tires but it's still pretty slick out there. Of course, when I'm on major routes with lots of folks I am careful and drive defensively, but I must say I do miss the good old days of living up in Smithers and flying down the back streets, fish-tailing (but in control) and testing the road beneath the snow. So, I did a little of it today on the unplowed, empty streets of Abbotsford. I felt like I was sixteen again.
And I made it home safely and in one piece.
But, the prospect of driving to work on Christmas morning, along the same highways that were slick with snow and filled with anxious drivers, doesn't appeal to me whatsoever. It's one thing to do it by choice and enjoyment and another to have to do it out of necessity and having to live with not knowing the winter-driving competence of the drivers around you.
545am comes quickly, so...
... to all a Good Night.
Merry Christmas, folks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment