2.24.2009

Because this is what I do.

Procrastinate.

I am so distracted today. I have a midterm this evening at 4pm and another one tomorrow morning at 9am, but I'm here... posting a new blog.

Turns out that one of my professors passed away yesterday. It was a strange sort of day, too. For the first time in ages almost the entire class showed up on time, only to have our prof not show up. A faculty receptionist came by and asked us if we had seen our prof and to see if he was typically on-time (which he is)... she had an important message for him but couldn't get ahold of him. So, we stuck around for about 20mins and then left, still wondering what was going on. This morning I receieved an unofficial email from a classmate who works at the Career Centre and who did some snooping around, finding out that he had passed away Monday. At this point the cause and the when and the where are all hush-hush, but a clarifying email will probably be sent out soon enough. I didn't know him well (my Romanticism class this semester is the first time I had him) but he was quite grandfatherly-like, often told stories about his wife, his children and his dogs, and was funny in his own little way. But even though I didn't know him well, death leaves a person feeling a little lost.

Rest in Peace Jim Andersen.

My iPod is on shuffle and REM's song "Everybody Hurts" just came on - the same song I remember listening to after my uncle committed suicide. Weird. Totally different situation, but yet, compeletely the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i got to ufv and I had Jim for a teacher last year, do you know what happened to him? its very sad he passed away i really enjoyed him as a teacher.

Stephanie said...

I've heard it was 'natural causes' but other than that, nothing! Nothing official, anyway.