3.04.2009

Planning

Well, I'm off for the month of May and am getting quite excited for my "European Adventure." I like to name my trips. Makes me feel that they are more grand and fantastical. They're not always named very uniquely, mind you, but named nonetheless!

A month ago or so I booked my flights into and out of Frankfurt, Germany... but made no plans about what to actually do about my time while there. Well, those plans are slowly starting to take shape and I'm getting quite excited. Yes, I hope to see some old stuff, learn a bit of history, tour some 'must see' cities and do some self-portrait photos infront of some famous landmarks and monuments... but I'm also really looking forward to spending some time with people I haven't seen in years. Here's hoping I can fit them all in and find time to explore at the same time!

I'll have just about 4 weeks to do some travelling, and these are some of the places I hope to visit/explore/experience:

- Berlin
- Munich
- Dresden
- Prague
- Rome
- Paris
- Nice
- Lisboa
- Barcelona
- camp on the beaches at Normandy
- Stockholm

I've already been to Amsterdam, London, and some of Scandinavia, so will be only seeing Stockholm again... but this time acting as the tour guide for some friends! And catching up with other friends.

Any suggestions (and the why behind the suggestion) would be appreciated! I only have four weeks and my last week and a half is already booked up with Munich, Prague, and Stockholm.

I'd love to hit some Greek Islands, too... we'll see!
I'm saving the UK (especially Ireland/Scotland) for another time... I think. Unless I can be convinced otherwise! :D

Suggestions?

5 comments:

spongeknuckles said...

GO TO IRELAND, you will not regret it! That is, if you have time to explore the countryside. I'm sure a similar atmosphere exists in the English countryside, but it can't top Ireland's scenery.

Otherwise your list looks great, I found Rome to be especially interesting. Happy travel planning Stephie!

Stephanie said...

You see, that's the kicker... I don't think I have enough time to fully appreciate Ireland. I want to be able to spend a couple weeks there and Scotland, and this trip isn't long enough for that!

It's been on my 'list' for ages, but I think it'll have to wait. I want to do it justice.

spongeknuckles said...

Yep, good reasoning. Maybe get a rail pass and do the European marathon!

Maria said...

First of all: Take another month!

No kidding, I would consider half the list and ENJOY with less rush. However, I know that's hard, especially when you're not sure you're gonna go again anytime soon.


You're still invited to my family in Westfalen (me excluded, coz I'm in Ontario). It's not on your way, but would fit best between Berlin and Munich. A village in the middle of nowhere, pure countryside. (There are still trains going, it's Europe!)

You'd want to take at least two days for that (to actually arrive and take a rest). More time is pleasant and relaxing, more than a week can get really boring in case you might NOT adore my big little sister. (She's 7 years younger than me but hugh.)

Village, countryside, a lot of space in- and outdoors, wonderful people...
If this is an option for you, let me know. If you're gonna focus on the sightseeing part, I can totally understand. It's just: You will have to come once more. Preferably when I'm around. Now, don't you dare telling me that's not often! You're right.

davin said...

Sounds like fun! I miss EU.