9.15.2008

Cabin Time Again...

I don't want it to end!

This Saturday I hung out with my sister and her family for a bit - played with my adorable nieces




and nephew,




and then headed to work only to find out that one of the girls was being picked up and sleeping over at her mom's place, so I wasn't needed. Awesome - sure, I didn't get the hours I wanted (I could've stayed, but I chose to leave after 2 hours or so), but my trip to the cabin got bumped up a few hours!

When I arrived in Birch Bay, I was greeted with these beautiful sights:




The nights at the cabin are getting pretty chilly, but most of the time, and this weekend in particular, there is nowhere else I'd rather be. I'm pretty blessed to have a place that I'm able to go to that is close enough for a quick day trip and far enough to feel as if I were away from it all. Thank you, Kennedys! - for welcoming me (constantly) with open arms.

I try to bring my tent most weekends I go down - I love sleeping outside whenever possible. This past Sunday morning I woke up to sunny spots on my canvas abode and listened as the condensation that had accumulated between my tent's fly and the tent itself slowly dripped onto the tent. I was snuggled up under about four blankets and was cosy cosy. Then I had to pee. That's the only downside of camping in a tent - all the zippers one has to get through to get to a bathroom! As well, I should've gotten a photo of my bedhead that morning - my straight short hair managed to emerge from the tent in ringlets. Tricky, I know. The dampness creates havoc with my hair. Good times!

The Donald and I went out at low tide (which wasn't that low, only a 0.5) just before noon and did some digging for steamers. On the way we came across some massive jelly fish - bigger than dinner plates - probably about a foot or more in diameter, and bright red. Beautiful. But back to the steamers. The limit is 40 per trip, and in under 10mins we had dug up almost 60 keepers. Needless to say, The Donald made a trip back to the cabin and came back for more, leaving me to keep our spot 'safe'. No need, really, as we were practically the only ones out there! My only wish is that I could actually eat the clams and crabs I help catch while at the cabin. Unfortunately, they're too rich for me (learned the hard way, yes I did).

Sunday evening was spent around the fire roasting marshmellows and making s'mores. Then, around 9pm I took off for the border and headed towards home. The fog made the aromatic manure scent hang in the air and at times my wipers were needed to clear off the windshield due to the thinkness of it - the fog, not the manure :P

I always feel sad when I leave the cabin, and this time I don't know when I'll be back. My weekends are booked up for awhile with work and church obligations, and soon assignments will be needing more thorough attention as well. *sigh*

Life calls and I must answer... at some point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe the clamming limit for state parks is 40 per DAY, not per trip. Just an FYI.... Those were som lovely pictures, by the way.

Stephanie said...

Good thing it wasn't in the park then!