


The last weekend of summer has been and gone. I spent a couple days down at that cabin with my pseudo family - digging for clams, drinking bevies, playing Kubb, going for walks, shooting things, and watching sunsets before cosying up to the fire to roast marshmellows. It was chilly, but somehow my heart always feels full and warm when I'm down there surrounded by people I love. None of them are my real family, but somehow they are more than just 'like' family to me. And, I love that two of my closest friends are becoming friends. The circle is getting bigger.
I'm back in school again - one course shy of my last semester. The end is in sight, despite this only being the first week back at school. I'm stepping out of my English major box a bit and taking an art course. I have a feeling I'll both love it and dread it and have a morbid fascination with it - the prof seems fantastic, my classmates are an eclectic group, and my skills are less than lacking - they're non-existant! There's always that sensitive side, not wanting to hear criticism, but also wanting to get better. I can already feel the nervousness, but I know this classroom is a very safe place to be. We're all vulnerable, so all have insecurities that will be worked through. I'm looking forward to it. In a 'deer in the headlights' type way.
Turns out that I'll also be learning a new language this semester. Chaucer. Middle English. All the English I currently know how to pronounce and understand will be tossed out the window and I'll be required to chant and recite words that look vaguely like something found in today's books, but sound exceedingly different. The vowel sounds are shorter, all consonents in a word are pronounced, and it all needs to be done in the lilting rhythm of iambic pentameter. Good times! I'm sure there will be more than enough laughter in the room to make up for some horrible accents.
I'm also taking Homer and Victorian Lit classes, as well as Methods and Theories of Education (which involves a weekly trip to the Chilliwack campus), a pre-req for the Teacher Education Program at UFV. Our first class was last night and although it was LONG (4 hours), it was pretty fantastic. I think the trip to and from CHW will be worth it. This course will probably either make or break my teaching career choice - right now teaching seems to be the logical route for me after my BA is finished, but there has always been a trace of doubt in the back of my mind - so hopefully all the different elements of this very diverse course will help me come to some concrete decisions before it's time to apply for the TEP in January.
Time to do some of the already piling up homework I've been assigned!







3 comments:
Lucky! I want to learn Middle English too! So maybe you could teach me a few phrases each time you see me...yeah, that's a good plan:)
Good luck Stephie! Who speaks this Middle English anyway? Will you be teaching hobbits? ha ha ha ha ho ho ho
Well, sorry to disappoint you both, but I've dropped Chaucer. No teaching new phrases and no teaching hobbits. Little people at a later date? Possibly.
Post a Comment